Potholes are a major threat to your vehicle as they can negatively impact your alignment, tire rims, suspension, steering, and more. Furthermore, they're everywhere! There's no end all be all answer to stop them from forming; however, you can do certain things to prevent pothole damage:
- Maintain a safe distance behind vehicles in front of you. Not only should you already be doing this to stay safe, but it will help you see a pothole in the distance. The sooner you spot one, the more time you have to react.
- Continue drivingnormally. Don't swerve off and out of your lane to dodge a pothole as it can be unsafe. Also, don't increase your speed either.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Both under-inflated and over-inflated tires can increase your risk of internal damage or a blowout.
- Watch out for puddles. Many potholes get filled with water after it rains or snows. Therefore, beware of puddles on the road because you never know how deep they may go.
- Don't brake when you're driving through. Instead, you should simply ease on the gas pedal.
Signs of Pothole Damage
- Tire bulges or bubbles
- Distorted rims
- Flat tire
- Bouncy car
- Shaking or vibrating steering wheel
- Strange exhaust noises
- Trouble driving straight or misaligned tires
If you've recently driven into a pothole and started experiencing some of these symptoms above, please bring your vehicle to Ming's Auto Repair as soon as possible. Not only can the problems worsen, but they can put you in danger. Our mechanics can inspect and repair the areas that have been affected once you arrive at our repair shop.
Give us a call or visit our Allston auto repair shop today!